Jey's Stuff II

Comment on my blog, dammit!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Piccies!

As promised here are some piccies of the house and local area. I don't know how to do one of those 'more' links making it optional to view the whole post, otherwise I would. BTW I am a shit photographer. Deal.

Here is one of the baby geckos that live in our house.

Andy’s friend, Nick, heard them communicating on the first night. They kinda chirp. I think there’s two parents, one larger baby and this is the smaller baby. They're supposed to eat bugs and stuff so we're happy to leave 'em be.


This is an example of the crazy patriotism in this neck of the woods. Our neighbour’s not one, but two, Australia flags flying on their front lawn

The other neighbour’s children were running around draped in Australian flags, screaming ‘Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi!’ last Friday. I don’t think they quite knew what they were Aussie-ing nor Oi-ing. A further example of this 'crazy patriotism' is this (re-typed by me - bad editing not my fault) letter to the editor, From one of the free local papers:

'Stand on Crime

"What can we do about the crimes committed in Logan". Well there a few things tat can be done.
1. If the offender is not a citizen send them back from where they came from.
2. If they are a naturalised citizen remove their citizenship and put them on 12 months' probation - if they offend again deport them. [Oh, there's sooooo many commas missing in this darn thing!!!]
3. If they are born Australians then put them into the army for three years.
I blame the courts for most of our problems with crime.'

I have chosen not the republish the local redneck's name. Letter originally published in the Albert Logan News Wed Jan 31 2007, p. 9.
So there you have it kiddies, the troooly Orstrayan solution!

Moving right along...

This is Brodie’s Meal Makers, a takeaway store at Waterford Plaza. I’ve never seen one of these before.

They have chips, fish, burgers and chicken. Nothing particularly exciting. I'm fascinated by the over-excited loaf of bread though.


This is a 7 Eleven.

Yes, I’ve seen them before, we don’t have them in Canberra though, so it’s still a bit of a novelty. This one is a petrol station too!


These are painted electrical posts.



I think this one (above) looks like little green sperm. I think they are supposed to be leaves.

Those from Canberra would be familiar with the painted electrical boxes. The artists were decided through a competition. I don’t know if the painted light posts here were decided through a similar means. I could call the council and ask, but that would involve calling someone.


These are pretty purple flowers in our front yard.


These are palm trees in our front yard.


This is Tygum Lagoon, in our suburb.



Above three photos by Andy.


I was most disenchanted when we got there. By 'lagoon' I imagined crystal blue water. Hurrumph! Andy said, "Why don't they just call it a lake?" To crush all my hopes and dreams, that's why!

Some QUT Garden's Point and Kelvin Grove campus photos coming soon.

Haven't received the hardware for the broadband yet. *grrr*


"Well if you're not going to talk to me I'm going to talk to my orange" - Adam (my 14-year-old brother).

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 8/2/07 12:27, Blogger RandomGit said...

Those purple flowers are purple iris

A lagoon is not a lake because it is close to the ocean therefore and has sea water in it. Amoung other things.

 
At 8/2/07 12:29, Blogger Jey said...

Thankyou. Mum wants some frangipans, where would I find those?

It's nowhere near the freakin' ocean! ...I don't know what's going on there.

 
At 8/2/07 19:01, Blogger Jey said...

"It's nowhere near the
freakin' ocean!"


Andy informs me we're about 20km from the ocean. I stand corrected. Apologies.
If only the beaches were that close!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home