Jey's Stuff II

Comment on my blog, dammit!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Queer Queensland

I'd like to share some of my initial observations of Queensland.
Andy's friend said it's "ten years and one hour" behind the rest of Australia. I didn't really observe anything that was a decade behind but did note some oddities.
We were only there for three days and spent our time in the Logan Shire, about 30 minutes from Brisbane CBD, so my thoughts are probably not generalisable.

- There are lots of bogans. I mean LOTS. I think I've been sheltered. There's also lots of Islanders and Police.

- There are, like, no flies.

- For stage four water restrictions, it's really freakin' green!

- The sun comes up at four am. WASSUPWITDAT?!?!

- There are not many 'registered club' (e.g The Labour Club, The Tradies, The Hellenic Club). There are a few R.S.Ls, however the substitute of the registered club appears to be the 'hotel'. These establishments have the same facilities as the registered club: meals; pokies; pool tables; sports bars etc.

- It's perfectly acceptable to change lanes in the middle of a roundabout without indicating.

- Real estate agents drive Commodores.

- Apparently ordering 'squash/lemon squash' confuses the bar staff. You have to order 'Lift' or 'Solo'.

I'm sure once I move I'll have more observations to add, if I'm not traumatised by all the oddness.


"Well if you're not going to talk to me I'm going to talk to my orange" - Adam (my 14-year-old brother).

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 20/12/06 21:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How exciting! That's great you guys got a place! And it's gorgeous! I love the bar! I hope you bargained them in to giving you the barrell with the house :P

 
At 21/12/06 22:01, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My almost a week in Brisbane showed me that a big difference was the PRESENCE OF FRICKIN BATS!!! Since WHEN was BATS normal!?!?!?!!

 
At 21/12/06 22:04, Blogger Jey said...

I wasn't out much at night, pooped from all the hunting, but I pointed something out on the gate to the real estate agent and he said, "Oh, that's just bat poop"
oookaaaay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home