Jey's Stuff II

Comment on my blog, dammit!

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The farcical letter of the law.

,With my limited knowledge of feminist law theories I would like to announce I am jumping on the bandwagon.
Having seen ‘the law’ in action, I can not help but jump.

Witnessing normative notions applied to non-normative situations and people with limited knowledge of a situation making judgments about the safety and best interests of another person has infuriated and enraged me.

Applying feminist legal values to this ‘letter of the law’ that is so ingrained in our society, so revered, would take an enormous amount of effort, I do not deny that.
But the difference it would make in the long run would make the struggle truly worthwhile.

Perhaps evidence of how ridiculous this ‘letter’ is, is the fact that I saw one of the primary participants in the process, a solicitor, not only nearly cry after hearing a decision another solicitor had made before entering the courtroom but also agree with a client that she too has no faith in the system.

Here, I am applying a limited knowledge of feminist law perspectives and the law itself to a real life situation and it is certainly not an academic well informed argument; however it does provide perspective and context on real life situations.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 14/9/06 08:08, Blogger Jey said...

I'm not entirely sure there is even a bandwagon to jump on, it was just the phrase that popped into my head at the time of writing, of which I was very emotionally charged.
You get the gist anyway.

 
At 5/7/12 17:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home